April is National Car Care Month which is right around the corner. In April, as winter comes to an end, it’s time to get your vehicle ready for spring cruising and summer road trips!
National Car Care Month is dedicated to helping you remember to take care of your vehicle & address any issues you’ve put off this past winter.
Spring driving can be treacherous in its own right! With slick, wet roads it’s crucial that you have proper gripping tires, working brakes & new windshield wipers to get you through the worst.
Do you know the top ways to get your car ready for spring? Here’s a quick & easy list to get you started. Stop by our shop so we can best help you take better care of your vehicle.
Take the Penny Tire Tread Test –
Regularly checking your tread depth & wear is a very important part in your car care maintenance!
- Hold a penny so that “In God We Trust” appears across the top. Insert it into five different sections of the tire grooves, taking note of the visibility of Lincoln’s head.
- If you can see the top of Lincoln’s head in any of the five sections, this likely means that the treads are excessively worn.
- If the top of Lincoln’s head (to about the forehead hairline) is consistently covered throughout the tread grooves, the tread is in good shape.
Check Your Windshield Wipers –
Properly working windshield wiper blades are vital to the safe operation of your vehicle! It’s easy to check to see if your windshield wipers are failing:
- Streaking on the glass
- Screeching sound when wipers operate
- Wiper blades bounce as they operate
If your windshield wipers have any of these symptoms, these could be crucial warning signs it’s time to get a new set of wiper blades.
Brake Checking –
Your brakes are one of the most important safety components on your vehicle! If you have any of these symptoms, your brakes may need service:
- Brake warning light illuminated
- Squealing or heavy grinding
- Loss of brake pedal
- Feels spongy
Take better care of your vehicle during National Car Care Month! Stop by our shop to have us check all the components of your car or truck so that you and your family stay safe on the road.